The WORST Weekend Treat ever-NEEM OIL, HENNA AND VITIKA EGG PROTEIN DEEP CONDITIONER!!

Hiya,
How's everyone doing? Hope all's well at your endz!! My last post was on a few Indian products I purchased among them was NEEM OIL!! I wrote that the look/smell was awful but I wish somebody, anybody would have immediately WARNED ME about this oil!!!

Let me just narrate my experience with last weekend's hair treat that went south before I could say Jack Robinson!!

So I mixed into a paste the Henna and Rosewater all from the Indian shop, then in a separate bowl I mixed the Vitika egg protein deep conditioner and neem oil-



The smell instantly hit my nose (just imagine the worst medicine smell EVER) plus I had several urges to throw up but for the sake of all the benefits I read Neem oil has, I persevered and applied the mixes to my hair, 5 minutes later my head started pounding!! I was having the worst headache ever! I had never incurred such a bad headache even during the entire 9months of being preggers!! Still I persevered 30minutes more by this time I was sure I was having a full blown fever- kept telling everyone at home that the oil must have been absorbed into my scalp and was now affecting my blood-(was probably exaggerating at this point but can you blame me, my head was pounding-LOL)

So I quickly googled THE SIDE EFFECTS OF NEEM OIL and there they were, all my symptoms- vomiting (had the urge several times), brain swelling (maybe that's why my head was aching so bad), lethargy-(was extremely exhausted)! Other side effects include infertility, miscarriage if pregnant, seizures, comas to name a few!

Once I read all the side effects I was really upset with myself because I am breast feeding!! How dangerous of me, I did what most people do when they hear of a hair remedy; I ONLY Googled the BENEFITS OF NEEM OIL, read the benefits and totally ignored the rest of the articles with the side effects and warnings!

So I learnt the very hard way so you my dear readers don't have to- please, please and please if you hear of a product/remedy for hair growth for the first time even from me, simply confirm from our pal google it's benefits, side effects, reviews everything before wasting precious pennies investing in it only for it to end up in the trash where my Neem oil bottle presently lays!

To get the nasty smelling oil from my hair, I searched my house for the most sulphate packed shampoo and mixed it with Baking Soda which I read will help rid the smell and the oil itself;


 I washed my hair with the mix a few times and had my fingers crossed all the while hoping the smell vanished...by the time I packed sweet smelling moisturizers and coconut oil on my strands, the smell was GONE!! YES!! Praise the Lord!!

So that was the end of the saga of the worst weekend treat ever! I will never use Neem oil ever again, there are many other more pleasant products that will give the same benefits Neem oil proffers! This weekend's treat was very different, thankfully! Yesterday night I applied CHI'S Nourish Intense Silk hair masque for an overnight deep condition;


Very Good hair treat, my hair feels super soft and lush- CHI products are known to be really good so I was not expecting any less plus my hair has some of the red tint( can been seen under light) from last weekend's treat- the only benefit from that treat *rolling eyes*;

 
You Ladies know I am not about just teasing you with hair products that you cannot get your hands on, Naija Hair Can Grow Monthly Imports reopen on the first week of September so if you want any of these products or products of your choice you can get them!! For now the procedure LISTED ON THIS PAGE remains the same.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by,
 
Xxx
 
Dabs


32 comments:

  1. exactly why i stopped ayurvedic hair treatments. There are so many sweet smelling remedies that are just as good.
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure!! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Sad to hear about your experience, that's awful! I've always read about the benefits of Neem Oil, you're right, I too wouldn't have looked at the side effects for a hair product/remedy. I will do this is future from now on. Thanks for this post Dabs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Lesley! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Mummy,you see why I love you? Thanks for sharing! Anything "NEEM" should know that it will never see my money. How's brothers mi? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My daughter all is well!! Thanks for commenting!Hee Hee :)

      Delete
  4. hmm tnkx 4 d post naw i'd av 2 kip an eye on d side effects b4 applying dem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. And I almost bought this oil about 3 weeks ago. I actually took it to the counter and then told them to leave it out at the last minute. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Just took a Huge Sigh of relief on your behalf!!

      Delete
  6. So sorry about your experience. I have never used neem oil. Thanks for the advance warning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dabs, these is ℳy first tym of coming across ur blog and thank God I dint, cos I really nid a help like dis, its been 3yrs since I lost ℳy hair due to relaxer issues since den ℳy hair refuse to grow back :( And I'm so much into wit hair please can u help out. Everyday d hair keeps breaking. Pls as a starter what Should I start wit. Wish I'm based at lagos to buy your hair goodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, I replied the mail you sent me! x

      Delete
  8. Hi Dabs, soo sorry about the experience. Many thanks for warning us in advance cos i was thinking of getting the oil next week. My love to your angels.. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow awesome tips thanks for sharing love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need to dilute neem oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil before applying. I use neem oil and it has transformed my thin hair. Good luck. Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wrong application method. Neem oil should be applied alone, in dry hair, leave it for a while, and wash it. The neem oil smell won't go easily. If it is before bed, and the residue smell is tolerable, then you can wrap up your head with towel, sleep the thru whole night for more effect and wash it again in the morning with a normal simple hair-conditioner.
    Neem oil is not for growing your hair, but it will remove if there are any infections disturbing the the headskin. Especially lice, if you leave it for 30mins maximum, all lice will die. If the skin is scratched/open then it should not be applied in that area. Don't make any magix mixes with neem oil or mix it with perfume and reduce the effect. The effect itself is from the smelling ingredients in the neem oil.
    I have seen in Indian villages, they apply to school children's head to kill the lice infection on week-ends. If they are safe, why not for you?
    The problem

    Good luck, Go slow and steady, no need to do any magic mixes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use been clay mask on my face very good for bacteria that you can't see.

      Delete
  12. I get eczema and itchy scalp. It works brilliantly for that. It stinks really like a mixture of burnt rubber and burnt onions. The burnt onions is from the sulphur which is where the benefits come from. Insects hate it and it's used for lkilling lice. I haven't had this problem.
    I add a few drops to a carrier oil. Currently I'm using hemp oil. DO NOT USE straight! Always dilute! Patchouli, tea tree are the best for the smell. I also add four thieves oil which has clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary. And leave overnight or a few hours then rinse. Ive also rinsed out after 20 mins and it's been fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been using neem oil/shampoo and conditioner for 2 years on my natural hair and now have very thick healthy hair. I've also grown an inch of hair on scalp that was once bald. Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. heeey.....side effects of neem oil are caused if taken internally...external application is generally safe....your headcahe may nt have been caused by it....nt sure though..thenks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The article posted plainly state there's only side effects when taken INTERNALLY. When used externally, Neem Oil is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oils can be absorbed by your skin and scalp as you perspire, so those side effects can still occur and in my experience they did occur.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Little amounts are safe for external use. Internal use is not recommended at all. A teaspoon of this taken can kill a baby so if you're ganna use this on the outside of your body then use it by measuring it in drops. Check out my page on instagram digitaltutorialhub Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the people who think that Neem oil taken EXTERNALLY will harm you - do us all a favor and go check the ingredients of the shampoo you are currently using. Google the ingredients. You will probably faint from all the horrible chemicals that you are putting on your scalp and therefore into your body every day. I've been using Neem on my scalp for years and it works wonders. The chemicals that come in our soap, shampoo, haircare products, makeup, deodorant and even toothpaste - those are what you need to be aware of and watch out for.

    Taken from the article she read: "This oil can be immensely beneficial for a number of skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and eczema. By using neem oil for hair care, one can get rid of head lice, dandruff, itchy scalp, scalp psoriasis, excessive hair loss, and premature graying. This oil is renowned for its antibacterial and antifungal properties. It can be used for preventing some common gum and tooth problems like gingivitis and cavities."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... great info on Neem. I recently purchased African Neem Oil online through TheraNeem Products and I'm excited to try it. It has not arrived via mail yet but I can't wait because I have scalp issues and hair loss. I ordered the TheraNeem Scalp Therape Shampoo and Conditioner also. I also purchased their gentle neem therape for kids too (for my 8 year old). Thanks for sharing... this is an excellent and very helpful website. Perhaps I will share my experience after trying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Using it for the 1st time. Just added it to olive oil. Also added Jamaican black castor oil & aged liquid garlic. Let's see how this goes!
    I know the aged garlic stopped my massive hair shedding so fingers crossed the neem just adds to my hair health!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Using it for the 1st time. Just added it to olive oil. Also added Jamaican black castor oil & aged liquid garlic. Let's see how this goes!
    I know the aged garlic stopped my massive hair shedding so fingers crossed the neem just adds to my hair health!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't want to sound insensitive, but... there are two sides to every coin. Readers need to be skeptical with bloggers all around. Point is: You may be sensitive to neem. India people don't have kinky hair. I use neem to the minimum. Yes, correct, they present a gaggy smell. They are pest repellent and definitely male repellent as well... Neem effing stinks! But, it made my hair "OH SO healthy! GLOSSY"

    ReplyDelete

I'd Love to hear from you, please leave a comment!!!