Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, 15 April 2013

Diamond in a rough series;Damatol Medicated Hair, Scalp and Skin treatment.


Hiya,
So I am back again with another hair product I have found that is made in Naija, not packaged here, not imported here but MADE here by our very own. The aim of this series really is to review products to find out if they are diamonds in the rough or just amongst the sea of products that should be trashed with petroleum oil, paraffin and all the bad chemical orshirishi.

Unfortunately this product is deep in that sea!!


 My first encounter with this product was a few months ago when my son's nanny came back from one of her breaks and she was smelling like she had just visited a herbalist!! The smell was strong and pungent...I was like what is smelling? Then she said she had just used this product called Damatol that came highly recommended at a salon she visited while she was off...when I looked at the ingredients of this product I just shook my head!!

B4 I tell you all what's in it, I have to tell you why I decided to write about this product; A few weeks later my Hubs came back from the barbers and guess what he had in his hand??? Damatol!! I literally screamed!! He told me the barber sold it to him and said its the hair treatment men are using now to prevent their hairlines from receding!! Then it was my Mum's turn to be damatolized! Last month on her way to London, my aunt asked her to please bring a product that will work for her hairline and my mum absolutely forgetting that she has a daughter that runs a hair blog...decided to get her a product that came highly recommended from her salon...and it was none other than Damatol!! Now that's when I really panicked!! This product has some how gotten into all circles and it has little or nothing to offer!!( harsh but true).

You want to know the first ingredient it contains?

Petroleum Jelly

The second ingredient?

Mineral oil

The third?

Lanolin!!

These are all very heavy oils that offer little or no nutrients to your hair but just literally sit on your hair preventing anything else from coming in or going out!! It's bad enough when a product has 1 of these in it but with a product that has 3 of such ingredients you have to wonder how much of the good stuff it really contains.

Well the other ingredients stated include; Shea butter, peppermint oil, coconut oil, menthol, sulphur and 'Damatol concentrate'( what's that?)

As I stated earlier, I really really wonder how much of the good stuff is in this product, just take a look at it!



I know how over bearing Shea butter is, it's really hard to conceal Shea butter when it's in a mix except it only makes up 1% or less of the product, same goes with peppermint oil which has a very strong unmistakeable mint smell and coconut oil. This product smells NOTHING like any of these oils rather it has that pungent sulphur smell which I suspect makes up most of what's in it.

It has absolutely no water in it so it's supposed to be a sealant but with all those insoluble, heavy oils that just sit on your hair and clog your scalp, this product is not ideal as a sealant either!

In sum, this product is NO diamond in the rough!! It has nothing to offer to your hair in the least even if you have dandruff, eczema or ringworm as it claims...the oils won't let it work effectively!Please if you have it or any product with similar ingredients, dump it! This is not a diss to the manufacturers, not at all! It's not the worst product, they just need to take out the bad stuff and put more of the good stuff in there, they can keep the sulphur to treat the dandruff and the menthol to soothe any irritation but they should think of adding tea tree oil, maybe olive oil( its cheap and available), more Shea butter and tell us what the heck Damatol concentrate is! Even if the price tag for the product increases after these changes, their consumers will understand and appreciate it when they start to see that the product actually works! Hmmm Or does it work? If you have used the product and it worked feel free to let us know below but I highly doubt it! So young Lady that asked about this product in the comment form on the 10 THINGS TO STOP RECEDING HAIRLINE POST, hope this post answers your question.

That's that for this month's diamond in a rough series. My next post will be about my very wicked(in a good way) post relaxer weekend hair treat!! Stay tuned for that...


Thanks for stopping by,

Xxx
Dabs

31 comments:

  1. When I saw the heading, I rushed to read it because I used Darmatol only once and swore never to use it again because of the smell and heavy oil base and that was way before I got to know anything about caring for my hair properly. I'd rather use sulfur, mixed with with shea butter and a few essential oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! That mix is much better I tell you!

      Delete
  2. Lmaooo! I couldn't stop laughing. Ur hubs and mom too...bwahahaha. The name of the product sef..Damatol..wtf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately thought of the Dermalogical products I have.

    Which is branded dermalo NOT dermatlo.....was that to make ppl think it has a similar reputation as Dermalogical which I always thought was good and I am just reading the ingredients of this bath emollient for the 1st time in 4 years!!
    65% liquid paraffin
    5% acetYlated wool alcohols

    Confused.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolzz! You have me confused too! These manufactures eh!

      Delete
  4. Hey Dabs,
    Used Dermatol for my dandruff a while and the only positive result was an hour long soothing sensation which I could have gotten from adding menthol crystals on my hair.
    I discovered your blog Dec last year and though I haven't been faithful in applying the rules *covers face* there's been significant improvements in my hair; growth retention, receding hairline filling out slowly but surely, but its my ends that have shown fantastic results. Its S̶̲̥̅ơ̴̴̴͡ full, rich, thick U get d drift lol. When I started getting some products and telling my mum about your blog she was sceptical but now she's a believer.
    God bless you for your efforts at sharing your knowledge S̶̲̥̅ơ̴̴̴͡ that we too can have healthy and long hair. Just got a job, will be a regular @ NHCG shop once d money kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww you made your mum a believer too?! Yay! Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  5. lol, nigerians like to have that medicated smell and sensation to feel like the product is really working. My jaw dropped when i read lanolin! great job for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are 5 methods for faster hair growth:
    1. Be careful how you treat your hair.
    2. Change you lifestyle
    3. Eat healthy
    4. Take supplements
    5. Go to your hairdresser regularly
    You can read more about hair growth in http://www.the-healthiest.com/archives/294

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swaggamommabibby17 January 2014 01:16

      Naaaaah.....
      Wrong regimen.
      What happened to LOC, cowashing lock and seal, water.....
      You ain't got the full package!
      Dabs, thumbs up!

      Delete
  7. *phew* I was about to freak out! Why would Dabs be recommending a product the looks sooooo petrolatumy.... :) Glad i read it till the end. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. Please, do a post on soulmate hair cream.. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job Dabs! Infact when I saw the heading, I was like WHAT!!! Is she supporting the use of Damatol too? I thought she ought to know that Damatol contains the No! No! No! ingredients.

    Regarding Soulmate products, they contain the same heavy oils too. In short, almost if not all the hair creams made here contain these oils be it hair fertiliser, hair booster and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Tanks a lot for dis. I have a friend who says she used it and went under d dryer and her dandruff left forever! I dnt knw o. So pls wat do u recommend as hair cream esp for our hubs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damatol has been in Nigeria since life forever...for over 10years now and it is recommended at salons...
    Does it work, I think so. I used it a while back and it did work for my itchy scalp and I think it works for some people...I hate it cause of its smell and hotness but then I guess this will come as a hard blow for a lot of Nigerians particularly Lagosians to believe it does not work.

    Thanks for the review, I know now not to go near it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its good to have your own opinion of Damatol,however I had a totally different experience with it. My hairline was gone, I started applying Damatol twice a week to my hairline and baby hair started coming out. My hairline is back thanks to Damatol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the ladies in my office are using it and very happy with the results, new hairgrowth on receding hairline.. I have just started using it and am sure it will works for me as well.

      Delete
  13. Lead a healthy life. Stay away from smoking and alcohol, which can stress you out and pump in dangerous toxins into your body. And, as you may have guessed, toxins will not only make you look older, they will also put your life at grave risk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always had thin short hair which never grew longer than my collar, I started using Damatol 2years ago and my hair is longer than its ever been before (its just below my shoulders and thicker than before)
    I've always had to rely on weaves and braids but now I can go AU NATURALE thanx to Damatol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought this product from my hair maker in holand as highly recommend by her. The smell I dislike so much but I kept appying as often as I could. I did the same for my daughters and both will cry althrough. But that won't stop me either as I was determined to bring my hair to a desired length. Not sure if it works or not neither did I take time to read through its contents. If even I had read the contents, it would not make any difference because I don't good knowledge of hair ingredients until now.Iol. being that sis inlaw is coming on over for s vacation so I decided to buy this product in quantity so that I could stuff my daughter hair and mine with enuogh dematol to grow by force.bit before I make my order , I decided to see if this product is widely know in nija mkt and thats when I came across this blog. For now, am holding off with order until I can review the contents. Just s bit o I ssed off by the product now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To many typo, wrong positions of words. please bear with me. Typing with a small mobile key pad.

      Delete
  16. Hey I started using Damatol after I removed my braids, which were these tiny twists that when removed came out with my whole hairline and again like so many of u, it was recommended by my hairdresser, law and behold my hairline is back within only a few months and my hair itself is doing well...I believe the main problem with the product though is the thickneSs of it all, which can clog your pores, but if u wash your hair once a week, and deep condition it at least once a month your hair will be ready to grow...I have a lot of family and friends who also use it claiming the same positive results

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damatol works 4 my itching scalp.I know d other products are bad,infact I gave my Damatol out but had 2 buy again cos my scalp started itching again

    ReplyDelete
  18. i started using damatol 6 months back and i can tell u my hairline is back and my hair is long and thicker than before. thanks to damatol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Honey, Damatol works. At least, for me. I pushed it away for so long because of the content. But one day, I was desperate. I suffer from Seborrhoiec dermatitis and none of the highly recommended natural products worked. I remembered Damatol had worked one my skin for eczema once when I was younger. I went and bought it from a store. The allergy cleared up in less than a week! Don't knock it yet, dear. It works for some. The Dudu Osun you recommended in a post doesn't work for me. It uproots my hair strands. That's how diverse people's hairs and bodies are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have a real problem with dandruff, receding hairline & ringworms, what can i used, im scared to try damatol now even though my hairdresser recommends it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank u to damatol ,since i used damatol i can braid my hair for 3 weeks or month but before i never stay for a long tme with my braiding because of the dendruff ,thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to damatol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice blog... but must say damatol has helped my scalp a lot despite the odds stated above. I have a thick coarse hair and the only tolerated style I make is to permit my scalp to be seen visibly.... braids and cornrows else dandruff will forcefully camp right on my scalp :(.... a slight itch will welcome dandruff flakes on my shoulders... it is so embarrassing and the itch is so ....T_T . Thanks to damatol giving instant relieve to the crazy itch and within a week my scalp always win the battle :). I use it only when dandruff invades though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I literarily laughed throufgh out the whole article especially when you said your hub got it from a barbershop for receding hairline. Lol. I actually have the tiniest tub of it (about 25 g) that I use once in a blue moon when my hair is itchy or have a little dandruff

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this post. I know damatol doesn't have the 'best' ingredient list, nor the best scent BUT I somehow liked it because it worked wonders for 2 unrelated ailments . . . this means I used it 2 different ways for extended periods of time and it worked wonders in both cases. I have never used it for hair growth because I already have a regimen that I like pretty well (the LOC method). Here are the 2 ways I used it successfully:
    1. After having a sewn in weave, slather it liberally onto your scalp . . . no itching, no smacking your head either for a long time (like no itch for 2 weeks and then reapply as needed). I'm sure it would work for any braiding hairstyle too.
    2. Apply to ringworm at least once a day on freshly washed skin. I have had ringworm before & nothing has worked this well and in a relatively short amount of time (in a week the ringworm had dried). It worked wonders on ring worm to the extent that after a month I don't even have a scar in the place the ringworm was
    I know we all have different opinions. This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

    ReplyDelete