Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, 18 January 2013

Diamond in a rough series; Review of EMILY MILLIONAIRE COCONUT OIL AND HERBS WITH ALOE VERA.


Hiya,
So I am starting a series here on hair products I have found that are made in Nigeria, not packaged here, not imported but MADE here by our very own. The aim really is to review products to find out if they are diamonds in the rough or just amongst the sea of products that should be trashed with petroleum oil, paraffin and all the bad chemical orshirishi.

The first product up for review is this product I stumbled upon at Ebeanor, Lekki called

EMILY MILLIONAIRE COCONUT OIL AND HERBS WITH ALOE VERA.



Ingredients;100% natural coconut oil & herbs, soya beans oil, carrot oil, bergamot oil, saint basil, banana jam, vitamin E, refined palm oil, Placenta, Protein, D pathenol, African shea butter, avacado pear oil, almond oil, honey, vegetable oil, orange peels, jojoba oil, olive oil, aloe Vera.

Whew!! Madam Emily MILLIONAIRE you sabi concoct oh!! To be honest some of the ingredients listed made me laugh, which one is 'saint basil' I'm guessing she wanted to write 'scent basil'? Then placenta? whose??lol or the ingredients on the list that are a bit vague, like where she writes 'herbs' what herbs? Or where she writes Protien, is it hydrolized protein or which one?

Anyways, even if some of the ingredients listed confused me, I wasn't about to walk away from this product because of all the other good stuff listed; coconut oil, vitamin E, jojoba oil, almond oil, honey, avocado oil, Shea butter plus some stuff I have not heard about like bergamot oil and banana jam...this lady didn't hold back!
If you watch diners, drive ins and dives you will get me when I say I can just imagine this woman in her lab throwing into a stirring pot every and any thing she could lay her hands on!!

Now unto the directions as listed on the container; for best results, every other day at night, part your hair, rub a little quantity on the scalp, massage very well and allow to penetrate. Use on permed hair, curled hair and also virgin hair.

She also recommends using a teaspoon of the product on your scalp and heat under a dryer for 3 to 4 minutes for proper penetration...

Result; this product claims that using it helps in the correction and restoration of damaged hair, enriches growth of relaxed, curled and natural hair. If properly used, silky, dark and healthy, dandruff-free hair is your assurance.

So did this product live up to its claims? Well I've had this product for a few months now and used it a few times. At first I used it as a moisturizer but the after smell of this product is extremely herbal and pungent  plus as you can see from the ingredients, it an oil based product and has no water in it so for daily use, I would recommend this product as a sealant and not a moisturizer, I personally put one of my posts to work and repurposed this in my DEEP CONDITIONING MIX and it worked GREAT. I have it on my hair right now, mixed it with Organics cholesterol and tea tree oil.





 Will let it penetrate into my strands all night long as I sleep with a shower cap on.

In summary let me list;

 The pros of this product and made in Nigeria products in general;

They are cheap and affordable; this tub was just about N250 .

They are readily available, unlike the imported products, you can go to any market where cosmetics are sold and you will find these products.

You can trust that the organic ingredients are the real deal because we dey Africa!!

As for the cons;
Im guessing you already noticed that there are some vague ingredients listed as I already stated; that's a bit worrisome because it's either they  are not being truthful about what's in it or they just don't know what to call a particular ingredient and call it 'a herb'. This is a major issue with made in Nigeria products!

Another issue I'm having with this particular product is, I wonder what informed the manufacturer to put ALL of these many ingredients together! Every product should have a purpose, this product with all these many ingredients is all over the place!

Then there's the funny claim on the bottle that states '4 day action'! Lol




 prepare your mind to read such on made in Naija hair products, 5 day miracle, 4 day magic!! Yeah right!!

But again I cannot knock down their hustle because they have used the wrong words or tried to persuade buyers with plenty grammar. So will I recommend this product? YES, for the price and for deep conditioning, not so much for daily use.

Is it a diamond in the rough? Ehhh if the recipe is tweaked a wee bit, maybe if it was water based, less ingredients used ( I mean why add vegetable oil with all the other oils listed) then this product could definitely be a diamond in the rough.

Why am I always talking about HAIR PRODUCTS you ask?
Simply put, hair products are your hair's diet and just like with food where if you starve yourself or you don't eat healthy it starts to tell on your body, if you don't use good products, products that will help nurture your hair and cater to its needs, your hair will never be healthy so that's why I've taken it upon myself to tell you all about any products I find as its important to have as many options as possible because our hair needs keep evolving and everybody's hair is different but you will never know how a product works for your hair except you try it.

If you ever stumble upon this product, give it a try will ya! If you know of any made in Nigeria product that you think is a diamond in the rough, feel free to send me an email telling me about it and I'll be sure to try it and give it the needed exposure!!

Xxx
Dabs

22 comments:

  1. Dabs,I use emily millionaire but with mayonnaise and tea-tree oil and even though it doesn't work in 4 days,it helps retain oil in my hair,so I don't use soul-mate after drying! Placenta is a fluid is a slim cylindrical bottle,similar to what injections fluids are being put in,you break one side and pour or mix with something into the hair and do not wash out,it helped my hair to stop breaking but its not really trusted. My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember placenta!! Thanks for reminding me, my bad!!

      Delete
    2. It's placentyne, not placenta. Placentyne is the hair product, placenta is a body organ. "Madam Emily" must have made a mistake. Putting placenta in a hair product is just plain creepy and scary

      Delete
  2. I've used this product in the past,and told myself I wouldn't use it again. Not for any reason though,its just that I didn't really see it do any special thing for my hair...but you are almost tempting me give it a try once more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest its only worth it for the price and availability as I stated, nothing so special about it beyond that.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dabs. I av used this product in d past wen I was still naïve about hair care and it gave me severe dandruff,mayb because I was using it according to instruction. Now I just use it as a hot oil treatment and it works just fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dabs,ow u doin?av jst started my hair journey o :(! I know rite?am a latecomer buh better late dan neva!!av bin goin thru ur old posts and am rily impressed by ur hardwork!!its fascinting thou am somewat confused at times! I av so many questions?ow come u don't comb ur hair sumtimes,doesn't dat tangle it all up?d water n glycerin mixtures doesn't frizz ur hair?if u av weekend treatments,dat means u wash 2ce weekly den,rite?where dyu get all dese oils,I NEED dem!!!I av so many questions n if I keep goin,it'd be a very longggggg post!!I jst dunno wat to do mehn
    Dewunmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya!! I try not to comb regularly because it causes unnecessary breakage, it won't cause tangling if when you eventually comb your hair you carefully moisturize and seal it and use a detangler to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb. As for the glycerin mix, it doesn't frizz up my hair because I use it mainly on my roots to detangle and not all round my hair. I wash/co wash once a week during weekend treatments but if I feel my hair needs moisture I can co wash in the middle of the week. Check out vanity oils on google for readily available oils, for other oils like argan oil or grapeseed oil, you can order when my SHOP NHCG import window opens up every first week of the month. Thanks

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog. Great info. Check out my blog http://discoveringnatural.com I am also on facebook, twitter and instagram @ DiscoveringNatural

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO!!! when i saw this post, forget how i ruptured into laughter. my mum and i STILL use it. in fact i have half a tub chilling somewhere at the bottom of the freezer. i remember in boarding school when all my provisions finished, Emily MILLIONAIRE was always still intact in my box. the tv ads on nta2 channel 5 sunday afternoons where hilarious, omg!! Dabs let make you laugh some more, they had Emily MILLIONAIRE Painless relaxer!! i still remember one woman in the salon when i was a kid, all her hair fell off from using it, and she was in pain! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhhhaaa you have made me laugh today!To be honest, it's just a cheap and cheerful product not too keen about it, surprised so many of you know it, never heard of it before now! It most likely will end up at the bottom of my hair product stash too!lol but it might work great for others that's why I featured it!!

      Delete
  7. neva tried any emily product o i bin usin only organics but i'd try dis wan

    ReplyDelete
  8. used it back then in the 90's when it was d real deal. later went out of the market but now i dont its content

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey dabs saw ds post late. Anyway I use ds product 4 my scalp n also dat of my clients. It really helps make d hair grow bt d only prob is dat it makes d hair due on time. That's what we noticed. Also check out products lik shampoos n conditioners including settings lotion made in naija u can also check hair creams. I really like ds u re encouraging d producers. I sent a mail n u ve not replied.
    Odibo Zino Dollhouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used both products and my hair revolted every time. Great idea, you know, doing posts on Naija made products. We Nigerian bloggers are not helping the producers by not giving reviews on their stuff. If we do, they just might improve their standard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to start my hair journey but I have dandruff.how do I get rid of it?? How often should d hair be washed? I wash once a week

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started my hair journey but I have serious issues with my front hair and it is really frustrating. Pls can you help me with tips on how to improve my hair growth? Wud be expecting a reply from you, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just discovered this product ...I love it perhaps due to the banana scent or texture. It however darkens my bleached virgin hair and my hair still feels very dry .....and I suspect the herbs might be indian hemp.I was cheated at d store initially where I paid 400 naira but the second time I was charged 200 naira .Ill start using it as a deep conditioner and c what happens .....wonderful review !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm late but I LOVE Emily Millionaire. It's super cheap so it's easy for people to bring back for me (I live in America). I'm natural and it THE best for twist outs and braid outs. I big chopped and had less than a few cm's of hair, two years later my hair almost at APL. What helps is I don't use heat and I don't normally wear my hair straight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodday Dabs,wat abt us that braid or fix weavon and hold it for 2weeks plus,how can we still maintain d hair from breakage? cos Ʋ said everywk Ʋ wash,Ǻπϑ treat ur hair. And also how can i make my hair thick and front hair grow full pls? Hopin to hear from Ʋ soon. Thank's ma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kesh King Ayurvedic Hair Oil, Shampoo & Capules is purely based on safe & harmless ayurvedic theory and Specifically used for deep nourishment of hair roots & scalp, checks loss of hair, stops premature of hair, Alopecia, Baldness, prevents from dandruff, sleeplessness & headache.There is no any side effect of Ayurvedic Keshking Products. Kesh King Products is 100% ayurvedic. Ayurveda is not only treatment but a way of life. It uses herbs, herbal-mineral combination, massage which has no any side effects. Moreover, Ayurveda gives you an in-depth knowledge of life and helps achieve - dharm, arth, kama, moksha. Ayurvedic Keshking Products is CGHS (Central Govt. Health Services) Approved Product. So, you can use it without any hesitation. for more information you may visit www.keshking.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use for about 2-3 months as my gooey preepoo because of the ingredients (getting good oils was difficult for me then). The fragrance was however a bit too strong causing me to have headaches. I don't think I'll go to it because of the headaches. I'll just stick to oils for pree-poo now that I have access to them.

    ReplyDelete