For those who follow me on Instagram or look to the top of this blog page where my Instragram pictures are posted, you will see that I recently got crotchet braids done using Freetress Bohemian wave braiding hair-
You can purchase HERE
I've been loving this stress free hairstyle and got asked by a follower on Instagram whether crotchet braids are truly protective or its just hype....I thought about it and came up with quite a few reasons why I absolutely love this hair style technique and here they are.
1. VERY LOW MANIPULATION- Basically all that happens is that your hair is braided down like you'd do if you are getting a weave done and the crotchet hook is carefully passed through each plait and hair is attached strand by strand...
If done properly, there is no pulling or tugging that is experienced, the hair is carefully knotted at the base and voila!!
2. YOUR EDGES ARE SPARED AND YOUR HAIR COMPLETELY COVERED- This hairstyle allows you to save your edges especially if you are styling your hair forward or to the side, you can simply make sure your edges are left out when the cornrows are being done...as for your hair, not a single strand of it is in the mix with the extensions....so say you get braids like these beautiful ladies below, your hair is not at risk of being 'TRIMMED' off while they neaten the braids like stylists in Naija like to do, its also not at risk of being 'CUT' off by mistake when loosening or taking the extensions out.
3. IT'S SOOOO VERSATILE- If your extensions can create a secure knot, then you can use the crotchet technique!! So whether straight or curly, coarse or wavy, long or short....you can create ALL TYPES of looks with this protective style as we love doing at the Hub....
4. GREAT FOR DIYers- Are you an avid DIYer who hates to submit her precious locks to anyone else and you are wondering if you can try this on your own, I say YES INDEED!! As long as you can braid cornrows which don't have to be neatly sectioned by the way, just need to be secure enough with a distinct enough parting if you want one...If you also have good eye hand coordination, all you'll need is a mirror and your latch hook...but your hand go pain sha ( you should be used that one as a DIYer).
5. IT'S QUICK!- Apart from being a very straight forward technique, installation is quite quick once you have the hair ready, taking it out is even quicker if you don't care to keep the hair after. To take down, you simply feel for the knot at the base and snip just above it, the knot will unravel/fall off and that's it...if you want to save the hair though like say you get braids, you will just need to do the reverse and push the braid through the knot- super easy!!
6. Finally, THERE IS NO CARELESS ABANDONMENT of your own hair!! You see with this technique you can very well reach the base of your scalp and oil it, you can spritz through the cornrows to get to your hair and you can oil and massage your hairline and nape hair as much as you want without too much inhibition like with say weaves and braids.
I think with these points of mine listed above, its fair to say that if you are considering using hair extensions, The CROTCHET BRAIDS technique is the ULTIMATE way to protect and style!! Love it!!!
Feel free to share your thoughts below and if you are in Lagos looking for where you can get your hair styled using this technique...you know we are here for you at Savvy and Chic Hair Beauty Hub- 30 Norman Williams St. Ikoyi Lagos, Please call 08090613325 to book an appointment!!