My Most Personal Post!!


Hiya,
How's everyone doing? Hope well...
Lagosians, do you find that sitting in Lagos traffic can bring out all sorts of emotions from you?Well it's one of those mornings, I am stuck in traffic and with nothing else to do, I start to reflect...
If you don't like mushy stuff or can't be bothered about my personal life, you can skip now, if you'd like to know more, click READ MORE



It's been such a journey for me, ladies! Just before I started this blog I will never forget how I called my hubby, almost in tears complaining about being left home alone! I was jobless, pregnant and bored out of my mind!
I had gone to the grocery store like three times already, the house was tidy, my friends were at work, there was nothing to watch on TV....'Is this my life?' I thought...as in how could I have ever admired being a housewife!- not to bring anyone down because we all are entitled to making our own choices but for the longest time, my plan was that just like my mum, when I got married I'll stay home, till the kids come, are old enough then I start a government job that allows me to be home early or not even work at all- that was my dream for so long, so here I was 'living the dream' and just four months in, I was going crazy!!

It was on one of my many trips to the grocery store that my Aha moment came! You see I had so much time on my hands that I would wake up, luxuriate, makeup- look pretty and style my hair in all these styles so that when I stepped out, I got ladies coming up to me after debating within themselves...'Is this your hair?'. Me; 'Yes oh'. 'It's a lie!! How come it's so full and long'...I would then proceed to tell the interested ones what I had learnt and how I did all these things to my hair...

On that day, the same thing happened and when I got home, I got a mail in my Facebook inbox from a friend asking me how my hair grew so long to which I responded...as I relayed my day to my hubs, it hit me...Dab's start a blog and call it Naija Hair Can Grow! That truly was the first name that came to me, why because I had spent more time convincing ladies that their hair was capable of doing what my hair was doing than even telling them what I was doing...

I didn't want the blog to be about my hair from a look at my hair, long after it, isn't it fabulous angle...I wanted it to be more like a manual, hey this is what I'm doing, try it and see if it works...so my first posts were very impersonal, hardly put pics up of my hair and came at it like a teacher but I soon realized people needed more convincing, encouragement, I had to show them how it's done, even if it meant a step by step pictorial.

All of a sudden, there was something to look forward to when I woke each morning, 'hmmmm what will I blog about today?' 'How many blog views? Only 10! Oh well maybe when my next post is up I'll have 20!' Haha It was so exciting, when I got feedback! 

My hubs was privy to my transformation and loved it, his support plus God's grace of course is the reason I am here! The importance of a supportive husband(family/loved one) when you want to launch out is paramount, I'd read blog posts to him, have spell checks with him, toss ideas and though he had no real knowledge or interest in hair care, having a sounding board rather than a restrainer or inhibitor definitely spurred me on. 

Spurred me on to start Shop NHCG, dust off my incorporation certificate and resuscitate Savvy & Chic...one morning I told my Hubs, I'm searching for a store, I want to open an actual store, 'really?great! You have my support' I heaved a sigh of relief and prepared myself for the next thing I was going to tell him, 'well, I also thought I should start a magazine and launch them both on my birthday in January' (this was the end November)...'hmmm ok, sounds like a plan!', he said! I was half expecting him to ask me questions I was asking myself, 'is it not too much work, too expensive, too stressful?' He didn't, so I got confident!



3 magazine issues in, 8 months gone and I'm slowly and steadily doing what I set out to do from the get go...whenever I meet you lovely ladies that have read this blog all these years, it's like meeting an old friend, you guys are so so nice and understanding, it baffles me and keeps me humble, grateful, hopeful...I have somehow, someway impacted someone's life...incredible!

All the sleepless nights, long meetings, crazy bills are worth it and though I'm a complete opposite of that pregnant girl bored out of her mind in 2011, when I find myself about to complain, I quickly am reminded to stay thankful because this is indeed what I longed for, I do this with absolute pleasure!


If like me in 2011, you feel stuck, you have an idea, you want direction...prayerfully dig deep, God will send you your own Aha moment...all you need is a seed and good soil...watch it grow, branch out and bear fruits....

PS. The SEPT. IMPORT WINDOW Opened yesterday and will be open till the 7th.
Xxx
Dabs

28 comments:

  1. Well done Dabs on setting up your business and the magazine. It's such a great achievement!
    I definitely felt how you did a couple of years ago and that's what led me to start blogging to pass the time. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Les, you ALWAYS have kind things to say! God bless you!! X

      Delete
    2. wow...very inspiring............more grease to your elbow

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring! Great work. I understand how you felt when you started and it's so nice to see your progress. Well done.

    Don't Touch The Hair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to your prayers...Well done Dabs you've come a long way, you can't stop here cause your best is yet to come:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why you would think someone wouldn't be interested in your story if they follow your blog. I think it's a great story and a lot of people can relate, and do wear the same shoes. It's an inspirational post and something that I think you should share in the next edition of your magazine.

    Two thumbs up

    http://berrydakara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, you kno people mainly come for hair growth tips :)

      Delete
  5. You have done beyond well so far and you are goin further. Thumbs uo to you always. Love, from Zambia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,sis Dabs,it's nice that you had an Aha moment,the same way i wish most people in this country would whether married or not. Idleness is not a good thing and doing what one loves is the best in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mummy. I have missed you. This is just the beginning. The whole world will soon hear of you. Remember me then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. The sky is your starting point. Keep soaring high, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on all your achievements Dabs! Keep at it, more will come

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats dear,bigger you I pray

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a great story. I am sort of in the same position. Left corporate finance to set up a creche, nursery and primary school. Got legally married and still trying to figure it out. My husband is solely behind me, its almost crazy sitting at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing beats following your dreams, the sky is your limit Dabs, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep up the awesome work!!! You have alot more people paying attention than you actually know..( high five to silentreaders like yours truly,plus I loved the personal feel when I placed an order for stuff awhile back). God bless and keep you always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very inspiring Dabs. I'm right where you were. The only difference is that I have a job (dentist) but I feel like I have the potential to do more. I have a myriad of makeup in my bag from Lancome, Armani, Dior, Mac etc and I'm always the one friends call when they need makeup advice yet to me it's just my hobby. So many people have advised me to make a career of it as I'm good at it even without any formal training. This blog post seems like it was meant for me. Thank you for this amazing post. Faith, Lagos

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is quite cool amma shear it on my blog alexalab.tk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Passion. No greater inspiration or motivation. Well done and of course, from me to you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was soo inspiring! I'm glad you decided to share, good to know someone has been through something you are dealing with. Congrats on all your achievements thus far, the best is yet to come! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww thanks ladies for your kind words!!! Means A LOT!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this post, starting small is better than not starting atall.

    http://tukesquest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm! God is still in the business of leading his children. There is always a plan and a purpose in the midst of a storm, chaos and boredom. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. we hardly have any hair and beauty show in Lagos Nigeria. it will be nice to have one though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm soo happy for you dabs. I'm actually in tears now, like you in 2011 i'm stuck, I have been home for about four months, married, i'm tired of asking my husband for money even though he's willing to help, i have ideas that i believe can be my aha moment, but lets just say I have abandoned projects. my mother-in-law is begining to ask when I'll get a job, i'm studying to get into a new line of career, it has its tough moments, i'm trying hard, i'm not used to studying but I have to, i strive with the hope that when i get a job i'll be able to fund my aha career which im passionate but sometimes have jitters about. as much as i want to say i'm tired of myself i cant deny that i'm also hopeful in myself. thanks dabs for writing this story of urself, i believe it has given me some sort of hope. please pray for me too
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

I'd Love to hear from you, please leave a comment!!!