Texlaxing effectively!


Hiya,
So I always get mails from you my dear readers and they are usually on posts I have done but recently I got a mail from a reader asking about a post I have been working on and was I about put up, a post based on TEXLAXING a topic I cannot believe I have never posted about since I started this blog! 








Here's her mail; 
Hi..this is Chibs..Im a huge fan..n I always look forward to New updates on NHCG...newayz I have a question..recently I had to move from kumasi to tamale (northern region) cos of work..and I'm scared to find a new hair stylist..so I want to start doin my own relaxers and I was wondering how do I do a texlax..I was doin research and saw that for girls lik me who have fine and sparse hair..it keeps your hair looking full..but I got so many varied techniques..n u are my final hair authority..dts why I decided to bug u a lil bit.. I need to knw hw to do it myself at home..and do I use a lye relaxer..or a no-lye kids relaxer

Her mail had all the questions asked about TEXLAXING and I will break down this mail and answer every question she has asked any another questions readers might have on this topic, so here goes...

what is TEXLAXING?
It is the process of loosening your hair texture up with a chemical that allows you still have some texture in your hair instead of having bone straight hair. Hence the name texlaxing.

Who is TEXLAXING for? People with fine hair who want fuller hair, people who get burns easily because of  relaxers or have adverse reactions to relaxers due to the length of time involved in relaxing hair,  people trying to transition to natural hair without doing a big chop or wanting to deal with two extreme textures.

How do you achieve texlaxed hair? The best way to achieve texlaxed hair is with a texturizer or lye relaxer. A texturizer is made specifically to simply loosen your hair texture without straightening it completely. Lye relaxers are also recommended if you cannot find a texturizer because lye relaxers contain sodium hydroxide which has a higher ph level than no lye relaxers thereby ensuring a quicker but less damaging relaxing process on your hair.

After you decide what chemical you will be using to texturize your hair, during the texturizer process you must; 

keep your eyes on the clock and ensure that you either follow the time recommended on the box if you are using a texturizer or you cut down the time you spend when you do a normal relaxer by half if you are using a lye relaxer. So say if you spent 30 minutes normally when you were relaxing bone straight, cut down that time to 15 minutes for texturizing and this time includes prepping your hair, sectioning, application of the texturizer and smoothing it out.

Any challenges? You must be aware of your two textures especially if you had bone straight hair before because managing the two sections can be a challenge mostly if you start out treating your hair like you have uniform strands. Detangling properly ; gently and regularly is the key to overcoming the tangles and snags that two textures can create.

When your new growth grows out, it will blend better with the texturized parts and the straighter parts might be left looking scraggly.  To avoid this, gradually give your ends trims each time you texturize till you get the bone straight ends out(That is if you want to maintain texlaxed hair).

 Dont be tempted to correct texturized hair if you get your hair textlaxed and you do not like the results( correcting means getting another chemical relaxer/texturizer before your hair is due  with the aim of getting the desired result you expected when you got the earlier treatment). Wait for your new growth to grow out instead, there is nothing as bad as overlapping chemically treated hair! It leads to dryness, brittleness and split ends!

Any advantages? Yes  texturizing has many advantages if done properly! first, your bone straight hair will grow out and the texlaxed hair which is usually fuller takes over.
Texlaxing can prevent you from suffering from the adverse effects of burns and sores that relaxing sometimes causes especially for ladies with sensitive scalps.
keeping more of your natural texture makes your hair less likely to break or dry out because your hair shaft has not been as broken down as when you get a relaxer. 
Styling texlaxed hair can feel more rewarding because your hair will have more body and can be manipulated to make elaborate styles.

As for me I have always had texlaxed hair without meaning to because my hair hardly ever takes to relaxers except for silk elements but I am thinking I will start purposeful texlaxing from my next touch up and see how it goes. Hope this post helps you out CHIBS!! and the rest of you my dear readers of course :) Thanks as usual for stopping by, see you on my next post

20 comments:

  1. Thanx so much..for this post..it answered all my questions.. dunno why it dint occur to me to use a texturiser..Iv gotten d hang of managing my two extreme textures bcos I stretch my relaxers abt 3mnths n over..I'm excited abt getting a texlax in about 6 wks..by then I'm sure il b well prepared..
    thanx once again..wt will I do without you?
    Chibs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm glad this post sorted you out!! Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  2. hey dibs how's it going?i'm wondering your take on kuza products generally..yeah yeah i know its thick and probably won't absorp in the scalp but how about on the hair?i've seen the indian hemp and coconut oil brand..so what do you think?P.S if i've already and i want to switch to texturisers how manageable will it be and how come the texturising thing isnt so popular in nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI anon! Thanks for your comment, I recently used a product by Kuza called coconut creme polisher and I really liked it because it was water based and good not just for hair but for skin. I don't know about the Indian hemp or coconut oil though, since they are oil based I'd rather use the pure oils by themselves. It's always good to look at ingredient lists to guide you on what products to use, most times if AQUA is the first ingredient then u have yourself a good moisturizer! As for texturizing, Its nt popular here because people want bone straight hair so much so that if they have to keep the relaxeron their hair all day long so it will relax, they will!LOL

      Delete
    2. thanks dabs what's your take on the ever popular pink oil?is it cool for moisturising?the first ingredient is aqua and it passes the slippery hand text (he he he) but i'm not so sure it's great for the scalp.I've also seen someone use leave in conditioner to oil the scalp...what sayest thou? thanks

      Delete
    3. I personally don't like pink oil, it's slippery yes but it feels heavy and just sits on my hair! Yuck, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it contains petroleum too that's why it's soo heavy! I say if it works for your hair and you will know it works because your hair feels miosturized and combs easily then

      Delete
  3. Hey Dabs I nominated you for the versatile blogger award.Please check out my blog for details at www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, will respond in due time!!

      Delete
  4. kuza indian hemp contains lanolin (some ppl r allergic to it)paraben,and paraffin wax,petrolatum,paraffin liquidum too which is not so good for the hair *dabs abi?lol*).though it contains natural oils,indian hemp and wheat protein,i dumped it because of the paraffin n petrolatum.i also dumped amla oil bcos it contains mineral oil. I now use natural oils and shea butter,coupled with info on this blog.thank you dabs!if not for that stylist that chopped my hair off,bcos i asked her to help me with my split ends....my hair'ld have been APL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol @ anon 24 sept thanks for the extra clarification on kuza i just noticed that coconut oil always runs down my neck even when i put a little i was actualy considering the keza alternative.I'd like to do a bit of a chop on my haior but i'm so afraid of how i'd style it before it grows he he he

      Delete
    2. Yes I was going to mention that the Kuza Indian hemp I remember has petroleum and paraffin in its ingredients and that turned me off! I still use Amla oil though for preepoos, I really don't subscribe to hair 'rules' that's why I always say try and find what will work FOR YOU! Don't limit yourself, In fact I have a post I'm working on that lists the most unlikely products im using and love, expect it in a few days/weeks :)

      Delete
    3. ..continues from where she stops.."or in a couple of hours cos' i'm on a roll now" :) thanks for your prompt response i appreciate.where can i get jojoba and avacado oil?and possibly a spray bottle?thanks :)

      Delete
    4. Lol Anon, you wish but just because you asked Ill work on the post asap!you can get those oils from Vanity oils and also when my 'shop NHCG' page comes up soon, I will also have spray bottles available for sale.

      Delete
  5. Hi can you texlax ur relaxed hair, because I read online that if you use a texturizer on your relaxed hair it's going to fall out are all this just fibs or it's true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can, my hair was relaxed when I started texlaxing just few months ago. The two chemicals are essentially the same thing to the best of my knowledge but with different strengths, relaxers having my straightening power.

      Delete
  6. hey dabs...help help help dabs, im joining the 6inches in 6months challenge and im excited but my hair is due for relaxer last week was the 12th or 13th week and i want to relax nxt week, started my journey 4weeks ago and im seeing results, last week i had a hair epiphany which i was so excited about. my hair esp the growth has become so thick but im wearin a lace front wig coz i cant handle d drama of styling. but anyway, iv already bought my ors normal strength no lye relaxer but i really dunno whether to texlax my hair or jus go bone straight i do wanna thicken my hair but i dunno if i shld jus wait for 2months to see how my hair improves with all the special tlc its been getting or whether the texlax will be more beneficial. can i texlax with the ors no lye? and also iv seen online quite a few blogs mentioning texlaxing by simply adding oils to ur relaxer to slow down the process, is this more recommended for use with no lye relaxers or? wanting on the edge of my seat for your reply :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can texlax with a relaxer, just make sure the time you spend processing your hair is shorter than the usual time you spend relaxing it. It's a great healthier way to get looser more manageable hair so I say go for it now , I have seen ladies add oils, I am skeptical about adding things that are not said to be added in chemicals, everybody's hair is different and so I don't know how my hair would react to adding oils to a relaxer so I rather play safe and cut the time shorter if I want texlaxed hair, it's a sure more straightforward less risky way.

      Thanks for reaching out!!
      X

      Delete
  7. Hi! can someone help me please. I texturized my hair but i am not happy with the results. my hair texture is the same but softer. I want straight hair, would you suggest i use a relaxer or use the texturizer on top of my previously texturized hair and just comb it and leave it on longer? and it has been a week since i texturized my hair, how long do i have to wait?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pls wats d visible difference btw a straight hair n a textalized hair?...n I heard texturizers cut relaxed hair, pls how true is dis?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The information you have given here are most worthy for me. I have implemented in my training program as well, thanks for sharing.

    Ecru Silk Texturizing Balm

    ReplyDelete

I'd Love to hear from you, please leave a comment!!!