HAIR 101; BUILD A DAILY HAIR REGIMEN TODAY!

Hiya,
The much anticipated time has come! I’m finally going to share my daily hair regimen with you. A regimen is a process you repeat over and over again until it becomes part and parcel of your everyday routine. Below is my daily hair regimen but let me stress that everybody’s hair is different and you must first identify how your hair responds to a product when you initially start using it. If the response is good these are few traits your hair will portray; breaking or shedding will be minimized, it will be easy to comb, it will be bouncy and shinny. You know a product is not doing anything for your hair when you use it and lumps of your hair are falling out, your hair is dry and brittle, Its unmanageable; you sleep and wake up and there are strands of hair on your pillow, you sit on a chair and when you get up, the same thing; strands of hair! Now when that is happening, no matter who recommended that product to you, even if it’s me; throw it in the bin!!

There are 3 main things you want to accomplish with a daily regimen.
  1. You want to ensure that your hair especially at the ends are MOISTURIZED. Moisturizing is extremely essential for our Naija hair because of our weather. The humidity and heat together will dry out the little moisture your scalp naturally produces and since the strands of our hair are made up of protein bonds which can easily be broken when there is no moisture, you need to keep the moisture balanced with the protein and all that will take a simple application of hair moisturizer to your strands especially the ends because they are the oldest and most fragile part of your hair.

     Now just as not all fingers are equal, not all moisturizers are equal. There are some products out there that I will tell you straight up are posing as moisturizers but are in actual fact NOT moisturizers! Please do me a favor, take a close look at the BODY LOTION you use, feel its consistency, look at its ingredients, most times the first ingredient is water(aqua). Now if you are done with my little exercise I’d like to tell you that  your hair moisturizer should be just like your body lotion if not its doing nothing for your hair! Let me explain; Below are pictures of the two moisturizers I am using at the moment. The first is Africa’s Best Organics Shea Butter Plus (Dry hair and Scalp oil Moisture Therapy) it cost N600 from Lekki Oniru Market and the second One is by Excelsior Botanical Hair Systems; Anti- Breakage Hair strengthening cream From Lekki Market aswell for N1200.


















As you can see from the picture with the moisturizer on my palm, these moisturizers are like body lotions that just glide down your palm and are light because of their water based nature! If you do not buy a water based hair moisturizer then the alternative which would do NOTHING for your hair is Petroleum or Mineral Oil based hair moisturizers. Who remembers BLUE MAGIC or SULPHUR 8!!! Even before I had any hair knowledge, God help any Salon stylist that brought these hair creams near my hair! lol. They are packed with mineral oil and the bad thing is that Mineral oil will NOT penetrate into your hair shaft as such an oil like most oils cannot dissolve, so all it is doing is sitting on your hair and doing nothing for your hair internally, now keep using it everyday and it will build up and finally clog your hair from any kind of moisture, no moisture means dry, brittle hair! 

These days, brands like Dr Miracle, Motions, Profectiv still use mineral oil in some of their products, you know why? I hear it’s really cheap! Now I know you don’t want that cheap stuff on your hair, no matter what miracle it claims to perform! Invest in an actual moisturizer and see the difference!Below is a  Picture of such a moisturizer. Please STAY AWAY!!















2.The second essential step in your regimen is SEALING the moisture into your hair strands. How? you might wonder? With essential oils like Olive Oil ( see the picture of Goya Extra Virgin Olive Oil below, cost is N 250).


 Other very good oils include Coconut oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Castor Oil (A bit too thick so use a little) and Tea Tree Oil( See my collection of essential oils below; bought them in the US but I’m scouting for them here in Naija and will let you all know if I find them)! 


I section my moisturized hair into four sections like I would if I am getting it relaxed and then gently coat the hair from root to tip with my oil of choice.(see picture below).


 I recommend Olive oil the most because of its lightweight nature and then Coconut oil because it is the only oil that penetrates the hair shaft thus moisturizing and sealing at the same time. Sealing plays the following role; as I said earlier most oils don't dissolve, they just sit on the hair thus with sealing, as the oil sits on your hair, it prevents the moisture from escaping your hair and the moisture in turn prevents the hair from drying out and breaking! Genius!! 


3.The final step for my Daily regimen is spraying a LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER on the ROOTS of my hair. Leave-in conditioners are liquid and can frizz up your ends if you have had them straightened or curled so focus on the roots of your hair which most times needs the softening from the conditioner especially when your her has new growth or in Naija Terms 'is due'. Right Now I am using Vital Olive Oil  Leave In Conditioner with Pro Vitamin B5, cost N700 at a supermarket in Lekki. Below is a picture of the leave in conditioner and how I spray it, focusing on my roots.









After you have successfully gone through these steps then you proceed to combing your locks with a WIDE TOOTH COMB! It does not matter if your hair is just 4inches long, use a wide tooth comb to at least detangle your strands first before you smooth it out with a smaller comb. Remember we are trying to retain as many strands of hair as possible! Below is a picture of my wide tooth comb from Walmart. Take a close look at the teeth of the comb, so you know what to look out for when purchasing one. 


In Summary, I hope this post has been useful to you. My daily regimen is pretty straight forward and I am usually done in five minutes but I must point out that when I started my hair journey I did not restrict myself to doing this regimen only once a day like I do now, I did this regimen at least twice a day. In the morning and at night( your hair is actively growing at night). So if your hair is damaged like mine was, I encourage you to go through this regimen at least twice a day. Also I would like to point out the fact that I don't believe in sticking to a whole line of products from hair companies.Some people are in a rot with their hair because for instance, they will only use products from Dr Miracle or Kera Care or Profectiv, as you can see from my product line up, I beg to differ. Why? well from the point I made earlier about mineral oil being cheap that's why companies use it, you can see that these companies want to cut costs so they cannot put the best ingredients in ALL their products. So expect that in a product line of 10 products, maybe just 4 of the products are of high quality, now do you want to be stuck with the remaining 6 crappy products? I am sure your answer is NO. So you see, please pick and choose what's best for your hair. 

Ill end here but expect my WEEKEND REGIMEN, going through it together with my daily regimen has made my hair a force to reckon with. Your's can be too! Drop a comment ask a question and Ill gladly respond!

Stop By Soon,
Dabs  

27 comments:

  1. Love these tips. Your regimen is simple and quick. Can't wait to begin. Thanks for stating the cost of the products...you know how it is in Naija :) Fab blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely course - hair 101! where can these products be bought in port harcourt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! You can check Everyday Supermarket or any of the good old supermarkets in town or even salons.Remember identify the products that work best for your hair and be flexible, you don't have to use my exact products. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! What about moisturizing with braids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same process, you might not have to do it as often though but what ever you do, when you take the braids out please do a deep conditioning protein treatment to strengthen your hair again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. does this mean having to wash the hair daily...???cos after all the creams and oils and everything on daily basis allow further penetration into the hair???

    ReplyDelete
  7. no you do not have to wash your hair daily but weekly. Use the hair moisturizer and oil in moderate amounts and most times you would see that at the end of the day your hair is dry and has lost the moisture due to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loooveee ur blog! i started this daily regimen 2 wks ago and i can see such amazing results. i use a mixture of shea butter and coconut oil as the sealant at night and its amazing. Keep giving us tips! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks a lot!!ill do my best

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dabs, I must say well done...you'd make a great teacher someday. I have lost so much hair on my head, due to bad diet, not eating healthy and genetics. I really wanna grow an healthy full hair, it doesn't have to be long, I just wanna be able to wear it without extensions. I am so glad I found your blog. I live in Gbagada, I hope I can find all the stuffs I need. In between...any ideas about shea butter? Was told to get some. Have you used it before? Kindly let me know your take on that...would be back here again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo, sorry I didnt see this comment since, Shea butter is an awesome sealant, with some oils, whipped, it works great!

      Delete
  11. Yea mine can be too.. Thanks Daboju.. Your blog kips inspiring me.. I so believe my hair would get healthy again!! Just strtd d daily regimen today.. Might as well get done with it b4 takn my bath daily bcus going thru it after taking my bath leaves my face, neck, temple OILY! LOL!! So wats d weeknd regimen?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a natural and I love that this is a Naija blog focussing on achieving healthy heads full of natural hair. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,good job on your blog. I want to ask, what are the best protective styles to do on one's hair? and the daily regimen,do i have to carry my natural hair all through the period between relaxer treatments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, you do not need to carry your natural hair all the time, protective styles can be in the form of weaves and extension suit they have to be done properly so you don't cause damage to your own hair. I have a section of protective styles in this blog, just type in protective styles in the search column. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  14. hi dabs. I have a little question concerning the daily regimen (which has become my daily regimen now and my hair is responding so well to it.). Do you have any recommendations for the scalp? I know an unhealthy,dry scalp means bad hair. So as part of the regimen,what can I use for my scalp? Right now im using castor oil that i apply every night on it and I massage so that the oil can penetrate. I don t know if it s a good thing. Please please advice. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a good oil to use, keep it up :)

      Delete
  15. Hi dabs. I'm glad I found your blog. My hair is fine but actually grows and retain length, the only challenge I have is my edges. I have seriously thinning edges. It's something I've struggled will since I was a kid (iya Eko) but I do remember some good times when I actually did have some hair and I went to a recharge slon for aa hair analysis and I was told that I still have hair follicles so I can actually grow out front edges. I'm pretty frustrated and I'm about to go get a big shop and wear my hair short till I die because I've invested so much time and money and yet I can't get my edges to grow. What's the point of long hair with no edges? I'll appreciate any help you can render especially as we live in the same neighborhood. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the insight.I want to know if I can apply my leave -in conditioner before the sealant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a new follower. Thanks for the teaching. If I remove a weave, how do I manage my hair to aviod breakage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Helllo Dabs,

    I have started a daily regime a week ago.my hair is natural very few and very light.
    I put on wig when going to job to allow re-growth on my hair line as i have bad hair loss os side ways like bald. Bt am afraid to continue putting all those oil daily and much more in the morning as i hv too spray leave in conditioner wich make my hair wet and again put on top my wig on wet hair.
    Can i put my leave in conditioner only at night where i would hv much time to allow it to dry.
    My front hair is very thin and much damaged by weaving. Can wig cause more damage?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey Dab, ur great, pls am carrying natural dread what treatment do i need to be applying on it and secondly, my front hair is really cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pls can write a post concentrating on the big chop (BC) cos since I did the big chop I don't know what to do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The exercise of fingernail design has been around for the last 5000 years and can be tracked to the people of Indian who ornamented their claws with henna. Now go toward 1932, when the France organization Revlon launched its first fingernail enhance. It was available in an extensive range of colors and used pigmentation instead of colors. Since the Thirties, fingernail art has come a long way.

    Buy Hair Building Fiber online in Pakistan Naaptol.com.pk

    ReplyDelete
  22. is Organic olive oil growth oil moisturizer ok? coz it contains mineral oil as well as water it does not have petroleum

    ReplyDelete

I'd Love to hear from you, please leave a comment!!!